Friday, April 19, 2013

A Love Letter to my Job!

Hello friends, family, co-workers, community members, and potential community partners

Over the past two years I‘ve had some of the most amazing and life changing experiences that a simple 24 year old could have ever imagined. When I started coming to Pridelines Youth Services in 2003 I didn’t know what to expect. But when I walked through those doors 10 years ago I could never have imagined that it would change my life so drastically.

As the great Dr. Seuss once wrote people are sometimes “Just Waiting” and that’s what I was doing before I found Pridelines. I was waiting for my life to start. I was wondering who am I, and how does this person fit into the grand design of things. Who do I want to be, and who will I become.

I stand here now 10 years later as an activist, a teacher, a student, a friend, an organizer, a facilitator (no it’s not the same as a teacher), a community member, and a advocate.

I like to think that I am a product of this community; someone who has grown up queer in a community that supported me and had the chance to call many of the people I work with today not only role models, and mentors, but friends and peers.
Over the past two years I’ve been part of an amazing team of people that have challenged me to be better, and helped me up when I have fallen sometime’s quite literally. It has been an honor to be part of such a small group of people working to make the lives of young queer people better.

Working at Pridelines has taught me many things, but most important among them is the importance of giving back and making room at the table for young people in our communities and in our movement.

As I sit and reflect on the experiences I’ve had over the last 10 years, but more so over the last 2 I think I’m a little better for the wear. I’m nervous but excited to start this new phase of my life and don’t know where I would be if not for places like Pridelines Youth Services. In the coming months as I transition from a staff member to a volunteer, and continue to raise money cause contrary to popular belief keeping the lights on and the organizers fed is important I hope that I can continue to support such an important part of our community and give back what someone once gave to me.

All the best,
Gabriel
 

No comments:

Post a Comment