Friday, April 22, 2011

It Gets Better

According to the National Education Association it is estimated that 160,000 children miss school every day due to fear of attack or intimidation by other students. And I’m here to say that I used to be one of them. This weeks spotlight is dedicated to the It Gets Better Project. For those of you not familiar with the project it deals with the all to hard reality that young people everywhere face the daily struggles of bullying. More often then not those much younger then ourselves are left feeling like they have nowhere left to turn.

There is no group of people that this statement remains more true for then LGBT kids and teens, who often hide their sexuality for fear of bullying. Without other openly gay adults and mentors in their lives, they can't imagine what their future may hold. In many instances, gay and lesbian adolescents are taunted — even tortured — simply for being themselves.(www.itgetsbetter.org)

Bullying remains a constant struggle for children and young adults everywhere. Stand up to oppression, and stand strong for the countless people that are not only watching, but waiting to hear just how great it is when things get better.


Share your story today, and upload you very own It Gets Better video:
http://www.itgetsbetter.org/pages/video/

Make a difference today and take the pledge to make the world a better place:
http://www.itgetsbetter.org/page/s/pledge/

1 comment:

  1. As a person that was once bullied as a child, I can attest for the cruelty that goes on among children. I was bullied because I was fat, I was made fun of because I was too tall, I was the subject of teasing because I hung out with the boys and I had no female friends, and I was judged because I was intelligent. Sure, it was hard to deal with at the time, but I got through it even when it seemed like there was no end. Standing on the other side of it now, I wish someone would have been there for me to incite me to move forward.

    If there's one thing I can leave you with today, it is this: never lose hope. The night might look dark and the storm furious, but there has to be an end to the winds and the rain, and dawn never fails.

    It *always* gets better.

    ReplyDelete